Tuesday, August 23, 2016

DEAR LIAR (A PLAY) - ENGLISH

The Hindu Theatre Fest present Dear Liar. Produced by Motley and Samuel French Productions.

About the Play: It's a play written by Jerome Kitty based on correspondence shared between George Bernard Shaw and Mrs. Patrick Campbell between 1899 and 1939.


Language : English
Cast : Naseeruddin Shah, Ratna Pathak Shah
Director : Late Satyadev Dubey
Length : 2 hours
Writer : Jerome Kitty

VENUE : RAVINDRA BHARATI, HYDERABAD
DATE : 21st AUGUST 2016

My Review:


Dear Liar, the play by Jerome Kitty dramatises the written correspondence between George Bernard Shaw (referred as Joey) and Patrick Campbell (referred as Stella). This is an excellent adaptation by two incredibly talented actors Naseeruddin Shah and Ratna Pathak Shah who seem to have mastered the theatre in India. The dialogues, “Not Shah, Mr. Shaw.” by Naseer or “I am not older than 39 even though I have a daughter of 28, it happens in India all the time.”  by Ratna Pathak, were timely and brought in the native touch of Indianness. The performances were spellbound and sublime. I was wondering how they can remember each line correctly and enact with such precision. The exploration of characters and their relationship is memorable. There is not even one dull moment in the 2-hour play. Although, most of the credit goes to the writing of the play, yet to get under the skin of the characters and make them alive is a supreme achievement. I am thankful for these actors to choose a historical play and bring it to my city. Directed by Late Satyadev Dubey, the props are well placed; the usage is appropriate, and the improvisation is commendable.

I am grateful to Hindu, a newspaper which strives to keep our art and culture alive. I am a fan of the November Music Festival as well and now the theatre festival will be a part of my calendar

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche