Tuesday, August 23, 2011

WHEN HARRY MET SALLY (1989) - ENGLISH

This movie has one of the best conversations ever.

The best part its like the icing on the cake and while the cake is just the temptation to have, we have a delicious taste of a fine icing. And all through it asks one pertinent question that can a man and a woman be friends without the sex coming in between.

We all beautiful movies, romantic movies and we shall surely love this one coz it's both beautiful and romantic. It's romantic and it speaks for the most part about sex and then later on to the small things that we surely appreciate about the other person. It's the small things that make the big picture of life and those are shown beautifully like Sally ordering a dish at a restaurant. Also, this one has of the best embarrassing moments in cinema that is Sally faking an orgasm in a restaurant and situation of Harry. Immediately the woman on the other table tells "I'll have what she's having".

Screenplay by Nora Ephron is just wonderful; the poignancy is maintained by bringing in elderly couples that have held on to each other for years and letting us know how they had met or got convinced  to tie the knot.

More than anything it simply works because of the chemistry between the two leads. Bill Crystal (Harry) and Meg Ryan (Sally) are wonderful in their roles. It's a treat to let them be the characters and giving them space and time to know each other, to understand and then realize what they truly need.

It's 4/5 for a cinema that celebrates romance but it in a funny way.

Here is the conversation I loved.



Harry: I've been doing a lot of thinking, and the thing is, I love you.
Sally: What?
Harry: I love you.
Sally: How do you expect me to respond to this?
Harry: How about, you love me too?
Sally: How about, I'm leaving?
Harry: Doesn't what I said mean anything to you?
Sally: I'm sorry, Harry. I know it's New Year's Eve. I know you're feeling lonely, but you just can't show up here, tell me you love me, and expect that to make everything all right. It doesn't work this way.
Harry: Well, how does it work?
Sally: I don't know, but not this way.
Harry: How about this way? I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.
Sally: You see? That is just like you, Harry. You say things like that, and you make it impossible for me to hate you, and I hate you, Harry. I really hate you. I hate you.
(They kiss)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche