Thursday, December 1, 2016

ARRIVAL (2016) - ENGLISH

A film that is designed for a debate.

The film tries to raise questions on many dimensions. The film questions the craft of screenplay and the technique of film writing on one level. At the same time,it questions the existential questions on death, our view of life and how loved are our loved ones. How important is communication and what are the difficulties in the case of an alien insurgence.

It pushed me to the edge by the end of the film without any rush, any big thing happening and even 4 days after watching it, it's keeping me in the "Arrival" zone. The name Arrival itself is deceptive for the film. It's not just about aliens or anything, it's deeply human and that's a great achievement.

The editing is done amazingly well. Though the film seems slow and literally nothing much happened in the 116 minutes, yet everything was connected superbly at the end. Actually, it was a shocker for me. What I expected and what I got was hugely different and yet it left me wanting for more.

Acting is superb by Amy Adams and by Jeremy Renner. There is poise and composure to their characters which is rare as compared to protagonists of a sci-fi film. Oops, I expected this to be a sci-fi film too, but it's a deliberately well made emotional drama in the guise of a sci-fi film.

Dennis Villeneuve who surprised me with "Prisoners" surprised me with "Arrival" too and I am in awe of this director now. Also, thanks to Ted Chiang, the author of "Story of Your Life". "Arrival" is an adaptation of "Story of Your Life"

A 4/5 for this wonderfully made movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche