Monday, February 27, 2017

IN A LONELY PLACE (1950) - ENGLISH

I believe, there is peace in a black and white noir film. 

Humphrey Bogart as Dix Steele played one of the most complex characters of his career and he pulled it off menacingly well. Hats off to Humphrey Bogart for the portrayal of the character that has a sine-curve of emotions. It goes up and down every now and then and I could not so expect what Dix would do all through the film. Even at the end, it surprised me that he was quiet. 

This is a hypnotic film as per me. There is an attraction power that made me sit through the film and at the end I thought it was just a breeze. So much happened in the breeze and it's tough to understand each aspect of it, yet it made sense. 

Why does one act in one way or the other depends on many factors and it's all psychological. Human reaction I think is triggered primarily by how the action is perceived and not necessarily by judging if it's good or bad. Reaction time for brain is so less that to show that we are present we need to spontaneous. In quest for spontaneity we loose our volition, our judgement and more often than not our senses too. 

I can simply put that for many movie lovers in the world, this film is a must watch. Nicholas Ray has done a fine job and full marks to him. I am going with 4/5 for this classic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I firstly declare here that all the content written in the blog is exclusively written by me and I hold the copyrights of each and everything. Be it a poem or a movie review. Also, the videos or photographs I upload or attach are exclusively owned by me. This declaration is important in a world that seems so worried of piracy. The prime purpose of these blogs is to put my writings and photographs on the net. and well to start with.... I live in my mind, and existence is the attempt to bring my thoughts into physical reality, I celebrate myself, sing myself and I am always happy in my own company.....I am not the best in the world but I strive for excellence and thats what keeps me alive... Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself--Friedrich Nietzsche